Wednesday, March 26, 2014

bird.i.y: a mirror makeover and some seashell art (a two-for-one DIY!)

I'm giving you a two-for-one DIY today because both of these DIYs are super duper easy. I know, I know, my DIYs are always easy. But seriously, these are really really easy. I almost feel bad calling this first one a DIY. I should just call it 'spray painting the frame of a mirror'. But I digress. Let's get on with it. After that intro, I am sure you can't wait!

I have been wanting to redecorate this little corner of our living room for a while. I have been thrifting things here and there and I knew I really wanted a full length mirror in the space. I finally found a nice looking, vintage one the other day while Ben and I were out thrifting. It was a pretty shape and I liked the frame and it was only $12. SOLD! The only things I didn't like were the condition and color of the frame. It was old and rusty and kind of a gross brass color.

I knew I would have to paint it. Easy enough. I decided on a light, limey green, to match one of our couches. And one can of spray paint later, the mirror is good as new! Sort of. I won't show a close up since I was lazy and did not sand or prime the frame. This is why I shouldn't be trusted to write DIY posts, people. I cut corners and take the easy way out. But I love the new mirror and that's what matters, right???


And it is also Mimi's new favorite place to hang out...


Next up in the 'redecorating the corner of my living room' game? Some seashell art! While we were in California earlier this month, Mimi and I collected a bunch of seashells and brought them home. I knew I wanted to do some sort of artsy project with them, but I wasn't sure what. At first, I decided to do a seashell and driftwood wall hanging/mobile type project. All was going well until I broke one of Jim's drill bits trying to drill holes in the shells. Yep. Turns out it was a wood bit, NOT a stone bit. Sorry, Jim! So, there went that project. Ultimately, I decided to make a seashell shadowbox.

I gathered my supplies.

I cut my card stock to fit the frame and glued it to the back.


I decided where to put the shells and glued them down with craft glue. Then I put everything back into the frame.




The little corner is really coming together! I think the mirror and the shadowbox were two fun additions! What do you think?

xoxo, nora bird

23 comments:

  1. You guys always have the coolest DIY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that shadowbox! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gosh that mirror is adorable! i love how u transformed it into a neon masterpiece! love!

    XO Meghan
    citrus fashion

    ReplyDelete
  4. awesome mirror! I love the switch so much! great colour!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice ♥ i love the diy

    xx
    Theanotherpartofme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love the seashell shadowbox! I have a bunch of beach decor and this would fit right in!

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart
    $520 Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! What cute nest you are creating!!

    ~Cheryl
    http://snaps-of-ginger.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute! I'd never have thought to do that with seashells! And I love the mirror - the lime green really pops!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm loving that seashell art - I might just have to steal that idea after our upcoming trip to FL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute! I love how the mirror turned out and oh my gosh... the shell art work is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that shell art work. My husband and I got married on the beach so I may have to steal your idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love the mirror - i have a mirror I need to paint! and she is too cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love both DIYs!! The seashell one is really great! It's a perfect way to show off a collection!
    ~Sara
    Sincerely, Sara

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ok yep. I love that she'll shadow box! I'm totally doing that! I have it all at home already! Sweet. Thx! -Tammy
    Http://wildruffle.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I love both of these DIYs! The shadow box is a great idea, I will have to keep that in mind! I am always impressed by how much a little paint can change something, I never think to try spray-painting some of the boring things that are around my house.

    ReplyDelete
  16. these are such cute ideas! Great cheap ways to update your home

    www.highheelstosneakers.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are so, so crafty! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Both are v good!!!! Much more than I ever seen to get done!! X

    ReplyDelete
  19. Of course Mimi loves that corner! A bedhead looks so much more fun framed in neon. She is tooooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've been looking for a full-length mirror to do this with!
    I love the limey green, and the seashell shadow box is adorable.
    -Ash
    www.stylizedwannabe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. It looks great! I love the shells in the shadow box and Mimi's bed head hair style! The neon green sure pops in the corner. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I did the mirror thingy with black spray paint on a mirror - we actually used black spray paint on two coffee tables , dresser, nightstand and bed as well.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yes, it came together perfectly, LOVE the shadow box, love the lime mirror, but most of all love Mimi's reflection in the mirror! Adorable!!!!
    XX, Elle
    http://mydailycostume.com/

    ReplyDelete