Wednesday, December 21, 2011

outfit of the day(bird): jumper for joy

 where did the word jumper originate from? (or, 'from where did the word jumper originate?' for the english majors of the world.) (do they still call that class 'english' in other countries?) (isn't it a bit presumptuous to assume that all literary masterpieces are english?)

i digress. in my world, a jumper is a shapeless dress (some might call it a romper). you know what i mean...it's got two straps that most likely attach to the dress with some big buttons (criss cross will make you jump! jump!), it comes to that flattering point on your calf that leaves you with no shape, and inevitably has some sort of iron on in the chestal area...perhaps a cute kitten, or maybe even the letters, 'a, b, c" with a few building blocks next to them. basically, i am imagining a jumper to be something that my second grade teacher would have worn.
 sweater jumper ~ vintage, thrifted
jeans ~ Marshalls
shoes ~ Kohls
earrings ~ F21
bracelet ~ vintage, thrifted

but to some people, a jumper is a sweater. i get so confused when i hear the word jumper used in fashion blogs. because while i am convinced there are a few bloggers who could make a denim dress with a schoolhouse on it look cute, mostly i think not. so why, my friends is a jumper two things, and how does the word jumper even begin to describe either of these things? maybe if it's made out of rabbit hair or frog skin or a kangaroo pelt, i could kind of understand, but then, who wants to wear a long shapeless dress made out of frog skin?

xoxo,
megan bird

15 comments:

  1. I get so confused by that, too! But mostly I think it's pretty cute - esp. when Colin Firth says it Bridget Jones' Diary.

    Which reminds me: it's time to watch that Bridget Jones' Diary again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally cute. And I think "jumper" is a slang word for sweater used in Englad, Scotland, Ireland, etc. Don't know how it originated. Probably from an olde English word... tee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Maggie B is right?! In any case, I NEED your sweater...the only time when vintage makes me sad is when I realize I can't have something too darn-it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, I'm with you on what I think a jumper is!

    But the jumper/sweater you're wearing is very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like sweater jumpers better than dress jumpers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. megan i agree. to me a jumper is worn by children, & school teachers. been there done both. your sweater outfit is cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adore your sweater! The slightly off shoulder sparkliness is amazing.

    I'm totally with you on what I picture when I hear the word jumper.

    Jenn
    The Suburb Experiment

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also think of the yummy Colin Firth in Bridget Jones' Diary : > Your sweater/jumper is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with you on the jumper nomenclature. I shop on a lot of British websites, so I guess I have gotten used to the differences in apparel names. Like pants for example, or knickers, or even braces...

    ReplyDelete
  10. "i am imagining a jumper to be something that my second grade teacher would have worn."

    YUP. exactly what i imagine when I hear the word "jumper." probably because my second grade teacher DID wear one. almost every. single. day.

    i'm more used to jumper = sweater now where it doesn't make me scratch my head. it pays to have an abnormally large amount of british friends (for an american).

    ReplyDelete
  11. loving this sparkly jumper! it's so cute on you!!! and it's so festive in a way that can be worn day or night!!!

    spinning-threads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so glad you cleared the whole jumper thing up for me Megan...thank you. I don't get it but I accept it. A jumper to me is something that you put on like you would pants...with one foot at a time. right? Anyway, such soft pretty photos of you. Great wall color too. Dawn Suitcase Vignettes xo

    ReplyDelete