Thursday, November 10, 2011

my shoe-lution

up until last night, i had my shoes scattered around the house. i have complained before (i know, first-world problems) that i have very small closets. in chris' eyes, the solution to that is to stop buying so many clothes and shoes. at one point, for mother's day, chris was going to build me a huge window seat, in our bedroom, with storage underneath the windows for my shoes. he never did. we decided we didn't have enough windows to adequately fit my shoes underneath. anyhow, i realized it was time to do something about it when i started getting mad at chris because my shoes were crowding the bedroom. i never told him i was mad at him, i just secretly blamed him because i bought so many shoes and he wasn't able to create a storage solution for them. who does he think he is anyways?

so, last night i buckled. i dragged in my estate-sale find of an armoire and started setting up shop in our basement. i plan on making this a fully functional accessory station. i will make sure to take pictures when it's complete. the only problem is that the armoire is full and i still have a ton of shoes. i probably got rid of about 10-15 pairs. when i showed my son my progress this morning, i said, "henry, remember when my shoes were always lying around the floor because i had no place to put them?" and his reply was, "well mama, they kind of still are." touche, henry. touche. i guess i need another armoire to get rid of some more shoes.

anyways, here's a little peek at what i'm working on.

it's not perfect, but it's way better than a shoe carpet, which is kind of what was going on in our bedroom before. i hope to complete the project this weekend and will make sure to share pictures with you then!

in the meantime, check out our fabulous Shabby Apple giveaway for a chance to win one of their amazing pieces!!!

xoxo,
megan bird

18 comments:

  1. So smart! I am forever wrestling with my shoes...to corral them...to not get in shoe ruts where I wear my favorite until they are unwearable because they are the ones that are in front of me all the time! Maybe I need to get cabinet or something of the sorts to start a shoe closet of my own...can't wait to see the finished product! Xo Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I think it's a great idea.. If I had the space, I would definitely do the same thing!
    It's great that you 2 share a blog, we're also blogging together :)
    http://were-sponsoredbydestiny.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it, wish I had a basement... I am running out of room and secretly moving my stuff into his side of the closet... sushhhh don't tell him! =)

    www.behindtheleopardglasses.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is exactly what i have for my place, but the boots are always tricky! (though I do find rolled-up newspapers stuck inside helps them keep their shape and are cheaper than boot trees). Can't wait to see what else you have in mind...

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a lot of shoes, and it looks like a good storage solution.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love means never having to apologize for your accessories.
    :)


    www.stylingame.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. great idea! seriously, i have a ton of shoes and they're starting to pile up. hub says to get rid of some but i just love them sooo much!!!

    spinning-threads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just throw mine in the floor of my closet! Occasionally I get motivated and put them all in neat rows and pairs but then I get lazy and they get all tossed in there again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. haha.... at least now some of the shoes are in a nice home. I wish I can have half of your shoes collection. They look fabulous.

    mongs
    mythriftycloset.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks like a great idea! Oh how I would also love to have a huge closet with custom shoe storage. Alas, shoe carpet will have to suffice for now:-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are passionate about shoes as me!!!
    Like!!
    You have a lot of shoes!! :D
    http://onemoreshoes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hahaha, my shoes are scattered everywhere too and I blame Kevin (silently). I hate that we don't have enough closet space to hold everything we (I mean I) own. I love the idea of filling an armoire with accessories! Can't wait to see when it's all done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. ha ha I love it how a guy's solution is not more closet space, but less clothes/get rid of stuff! lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm always re-organizing and giving away shoes, and I can never seem to fit them in a nice, tidy space either. Oh, the problems of a fashionista.;)
    cate@wildruffle.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. totally understand this - use these cubbys myself!

    -grace
    http://herumbrella.com

    ReplyDelete