Thursday, November 10, 2011

curious birds: weird shirt

so, i came downstairs the other day after getting dressed to go out with megan and some friends. i was wearing this new-to-me vintage top i bought on a recent thrifting outing. i saw it and fell in love. i didn't even try it on. just grabbed it and ran. well, i paid for it first, but then i ran. (honestly, i just walked out of the store like a regular person. there was no running involved at all. but now i am getting off track). so, i came downstairs and my husband looked up from whatever he and mimi were doing and said, "that's a weird shirt". my first reaction was, "yeah? well you're weird"! (i know! great comeback, right???). but then i immediately turned around, went back upstairs and changed. i don't know what it was. he wasn't being mean or saying it was ugly or that i looked completely hideous. in fact, when i came back down in a totally different outfit he sighed and said, "i didn't mean weird bad. just weird weird". oh! okay! wait...what? so, something about what he said or the way he said it or whatever made me second guess my awesome new shirt. was it really as amazing as i initially thought it was? was i crazy? losing my sense of style? did i ever even have a sense of style? normally this doesn't happen to me. megan and i both have a very "wear what you love. who cares?" kind of mentality. and when i shop with my sisters, we are always very honest with one another about whether or not we like something the other has tried on. but even if one of them doesn't totally love something i have on, if i love it, buy it and wear it i will! so why did this one little comment from jim make me up and change my whole outfit? hmmm...i am not sure. just one of those days? or perhaps i just want my hubby to think i look nice, you know? not weird. so my question today is, do other people's opinions ever influence the way you dress? if someone doesn't care for something you're wearing, does it bother you? do you change what you're wearing or just say, "who cares! i love it!"?

oh, and in case you wanted to see it, this is the weird shirt. i still love it.





blouse~ vintage, thrifted
tank top~ Marshalls
jeans~ Heartbreaker
boots~ Bamboo, gift from mom
necklace~ F21

xoxo, nora bird

oh, hey! have you entered our giveaway yet???




24 comments:

  1. Nora that color is stunning on you!! And your hair is looking oh-so-chic! Lovely as always

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful shirt on you...I love it. Goes great with the necklace and jeans...adorable Nora.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love "weird shirt"! It's unique but still pretty. Sometimes I just want to look cute for my hubs and other times I laugh and go on my merry way when he tells me he doesn't like something. So it definitely depends on what kind of mood I'm in.

    Jenn
    The Suburb Experiment

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it Nora, love how you have layered it. Necklace, and jeans are fabulous. You look so fashion forward, great choice.....great find. Stay inspired...this outfit rocks in my opinion. Dawn Suitcase Vignettes xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I think it's really pretty! I love how unique it is. And of course, you look simply gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Weird and WONDERFUL! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. it's not weird. it's unique in a nobody else has what i have, so it's one of a kind, like me, way. i am trying to think of how i would incorporate it into outfits from my closet. consider the style of the source. then end.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not weird at all! Actually think is reall pretty, love the cardi, the color is gorge! Totally in love with your bow necklace!

    Cess O. <3 The Outfit Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is an oddly shaped top, but I like it! Luckily no one really says anything negative about what I wear because all my friends and co-workers are used to it by now... sometimes I dress weird, some days I'm girly, some days I'm preppy... if you don't like what I'm wearing today, come back tomorrow. It will be totally different! (Which is one of the things I love about you ladies!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I effing love that top. Seriously..it's amazing...and I'd call it unique rather than weird and unique is amazing and you totally pull it off! I can't tell you how many times I've been out thrifting with friends and had them say that is a super ugly *fill in the blank*...but you are the only one I know that could pull it off. I, much like you, tend to buy it and wear it anyways. Xo Lori

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think Jim's weird and the shirt is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sometimes men don't know how to express things right. It's unique in it's style and cut. Looks great on you! I take comments into consideration, but in the end it's all about you and how you feel. Hope you're having an awesome day.
    http://sassyuptownchic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Guys just don't understand style sometimes. I love this shirt! I wish it was in my closet! What a versatile cute top to pair with lots of different outfits.

    You look fantastic!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love how different it is! My husband thinks most of what I wear is weird, but I go with it anyway.;)
    cate@wildruffle.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think he meant unusual. And I get the feeling that IS your style. I am the same way. I love to be unique. Boys are not well known for their communication skills. My husband is brutally honest (in a good way) but often says things like, "that is thick there" or "It looks like a Pilgrim" (neither of which is necessarily bad according to him). And he has on many occasions sent me into a redoing frenzy when instead of telling me I am a sexy beast, he just says, "its cute". Then I try to read his mind like that is code for FAT. You look A-DOOR-A-BULL in that shirt. Rock on with your crazy self.

    ReplyDelete
  16. First of all, you are a slender lovely, but have you noticed that belled pants make you (the proverbial you) look slender and lovely in almost anything? I am SOOO glad to see this one come back.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh what! I don't think it's weird at all. It's adorable! Like you, people's comments about my clothing choices don't normally bother me. But there are those days when I'm super touchy and an off remark just gets to me. I think it's a combination of things...your mood, the person's tone, what they said, who they are...the thing I hate the most is if I let someone's remark get to me, it stays with me forever. I have a few items in my closet that someone has basically insulted, and I still think of their comment when I see the piece, even those it's been nearly five years.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Whoa, I love your bell bottoms. This is a super cute outfit, especially love the bow necklace.

    Goodwill Huntingg

    ReplyDelete
  19. If you like it, keep wearing it. Red looks nice on you, and that shirt is cute weird!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That top is not weird at all..I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I LOVE it! And the little bow necklace is adorable.

    I wish I had more of a "who cares, I love it!" mentality... and the more I blog the more I am adopting it... but if someone tells me they don't like something on me, I do get a little hurt. I would have changed in that situation, too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is a great shirt! So cute!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a nice comment! =) I know that I'll have enough love to go around no matter how many babies I have!

    Just noticed your giveaway! I did the same one recently! =)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I especially love it with the bow necklace! SO CUUUTE.

    ReplyDelete