Thursday, March 31, 2011

new loves and old friends: skinned knees, the new accessory

first things first. my knee. i bumped it. ok, not so much a bump as a humiliating out-of-body free fall to the ground. i was standing in a stranger's driveway, about to purchase a new headboard/footboard (can't wait to show you my newest project!), and out of nowhere, i fly into the air and land smack dab on my knee. this is one of the hazards of minnesota...black ice. i had no idea i was standing on ice, and i hadn't even moved before i fell. it was quite embarrassing. i fell, looked up at the woman watching me, and said, "that must have been pretty funny for you." to which she replied, "are you going to sue me?" well, i kind of want to sue her for the $5 pair of blue tights that ripped when i fell, but i won't. although i can't find them anywhere now. blue tights? suggestions? needless to say, it had been years since i last skinned my knee and i kind of forgot how much it hurt! some new tights and a dora bandaid later, i was all fixed. eva kept telling people the whole day, "mama has bleed." in a very sad, sympathetic voice. i was well taken care of.
so on to my outfit. as a sort of consolation for my broken knee (i know, i exaggerate), i got to buy this vintage yellow skirt. i love the fit, love the color, love the length. i plan on wearing it through all the seasons. today, i am wearing it as sort of a transition from winter to spring. yep, we are actually getting spring here. i may be speaking too soon, as i have heard reports of snow. we'll see. today, it's spring, and that's all i care about.

new loves:
shoes ~ $9.88 store
shirt ~ alloy
earrings ~ F21
belt ~ thrifted

old friends:
skirt ~ vintage, thrifted (handmade, even!)

happy friday junior (as my friend cayla likes to call it)

xoxo,
megan bird

14 comments:

  1. haha- definitely a MN hazard. Glad you're okay! One winter I fell as I was walking, and I had a liter sized bottle of Jameson in my pocket (I was walking to a party, I"m not an alcoholic...) and my first fear when I landed on the ground was "that whiskey is expensive! oh no!" but it didn't break :)
    and for blue tights... target? I have green and fuschia from there, they might have blue. Or perhaps Urban outfitters?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the blouse! I think black ice is just out to get our knees and ruin our tights. I had the same kind of accident myself this winter and it ruined my nice thick grey wool tights. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's quite a doosey! At least you didn't get blood on that awesome skirt! You find the best thrifted stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That yellow skirt is beyond fabulous and I love the top too! I work in the nurse's office at a school and our skinned knee season is coming up. Once the snowpants come off, the skinned knees begin. Oh well, keeps me in a job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous outfit, I am in lust with your skirt & shirt. A lil sunshine on this dreary day. XOXO

    http://blog.cinderellasclosetnyc.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes! so cute! hope your knee is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All this snow talk is making me feel sleepy (and upset! :) )) It's SPRING! and your outfit totally evokes it! especially the skirt! and oh man, what a steal those shoes are! They are gorgeous!

    hearts, laura♥
    the blog of worldly delights

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry about your knee, but the skirt is super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, no, I'm sorry about your poor knees. But that outfit has to make you feel better - it's brilliant. I love that skirt and blouse together!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I adore that skirt! I'm on the hunt for a good yellow/mustard skirt...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh no! Sorry about your knee girl...but if it makes you feel any better you look amazing!! Loving that yellow skirt. xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. <3 the skirt, I am wearing a similar one today! (and that blouse is so awesome!)

    http://behindtheleopardglasses.blogspot.com/2011/03/day-18.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW!!! what a great yellow skirt! so springy and happy!
    http://work-it-blog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. this kind of yellow is so hard to wear and combine. but - you absolutly rocked it!

    http://wardrobexperience.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete