"Forget the old rules. I love white all year round. It's cooler to wear it when you aren't supposed to."
Friday, October 29, 2010
there is no doubt that the two birds love everything vintage. and we are lucky enough to live in a city with some truly amazing places to shop for all of our vintage wants and needs! some of you may not be lucky enough to have great vintage or thrift stores in your area. some may love the look of vintage but don't love the idea of wearing used or pre-worn clothing. luckily there are many stores that sell new pieces that are vintage-inspired. check out these great finds from forever 21!
Posted by two birds at 1:07 PM
emily from Shopgirl has challenged all bloggers to wear pink today in an effort to raise awareness and money towards a cure for breast cancer. for more information, or to donate, please click here.
my delighful eva diva also participated.
Posted by two birds at 9:23 AM
i saw this photo here a few days ago and i have since been thinking that i really need some over-the-knee socks so i can copy this outfit. love. it. i, unfortunately, do not have the jeffrey campbell lita's (sigh). but i have recently bought quite a few long, granny style cardigan sweaters (for $3 each! score!) that would be just about perfect for this look! now i just need these or some like them. does anyone have any over-the-knees that they recommend?
Posted by two birds at 9:17 AM
today's friend friday posting is supposed to be stress free...but is it? we are supposed to come up with ten random facts about ourselves. sounds easy enough, and it really is pretty easy. we could tell you we have brown eyes, and brown hair but that's no fun. how do you come up with facts interesting enough to share? five is more doable in my head, so nora and i decided to split it up...half the work! here are five random things about each of us...
1. i have been a vegetarian for 21 years and don't miss meat at all. the hardest part for me is not being able to wear leather shoes.
2. sometimes i am a total hypocrite about being a vegetarian. i have cheated and bought vintage shoes that are leather. for some reason, in my head, it was better because someone else owned them first.
3. however, i don't have the same thoughts about fur. i won't ever wear real fur.
4. faux fur is one of my favorite textiles. the more faux the better. i used to own a lavender faux fur coat. i wish i still had it.
5. i sometimes worry that i will be one of those old ladies who doesn't realize that she is old and dresses like a 20 year old. will i wear lavender fax fur when i am 60?
1. i feel naked without black eyeliner. for the last 12 years i rarely left the house without loads of the stuff lining my eyes. in the last year i have decided to experiment with new colors, such as brown (how daring!). i have also, as of late, been seen in public with (gasp!) no eyeliner at all. but when i look in the mirror and i have none on, it just doesn't look like me and i still feel strange. i feel the same way when i wear my bangs pinned up. i just don't look right.
2. i am extremely shy and socially awkward (although it's gotten much better in the past 10 years), but for some reason i decided to pursue a degree in theater arts. when i would get on stage my shyness just melted away and that was always such a thrill. and although i no longer pursue theater or acting work, i absolutely LOVE karaoke and my dream job is to be the lead singer in a cover band!
3. it took me 25 years to accept the fact that i have curly hair. I often wonder how much time i have saved in the last five years since I gave up ironing it straight every day! i have now learned to love my unruly locks.and i am sure my hair thanks me for going au natural!
4. like megan, i am a vegetarian and have been for the last 10 years. i do not miss meat in the least. i also do not buy or wear leather or fur and am extremely happy that people have started making super cute shoes and boots of mad-made materials. because i LOVE LOVE LOVE shoes and boots! the higher the heel, the better.
5. i love tattoos. to me they are the ultimate accessory and can be a great form of self expression. but i don't have any tattoos. not a one. and i really want one. it just has to be perfect and i don't know what that is yet. also, i am terrified of needles. but i really hope to get one before i am 35. that gives me four years to design the perfect tattoo...hopefully that's enough time!
Posted by two birds at 8:53 AM
Thursday, October 28, 2010
i had no idea who gillian zinser was until today when i happened upon some pictures of her on this blog. i was instantly enamored with her style and did a little research. apparently she is a regular on the new 90210 series. but i won't hold that against her...
Posted by two birds at 12:46 PM
the weather outside may be frightful, but your cool weather wardrobe doesn't have to be. don't store away your dresses, shorts and cute heels just yet! first, check out these photos for some inspiration on how to transition from summer to fall (or in the case of minnesota, winter, already!) beautifully!
images via here.
Posted by two birds at 10:08 AM
Wednesday, October 27, 2010
"I love blokes' shirts. I bought a plain white men's Prada shirt in Rome."
"Just because a trend happens doesn't mean you should adopt it. Wear what best fits your shape."
"Combine different materials in your accessories. I wear a lot of different bangles—gold, silver, wood, acrylic. It's fun."
"The idea of not wearing brown and black together seems so dated. The other day I wore a black T-shirt, black Nobody jeans, a brown leopard-print belt by Dolce & Gabbana, and brown Giuseppe Zanotti shoes, and it looked awesome. And I also love to mix prints."
"I learned at a young age that physicality isn't important. It can be manipulated."
content via here.
Posted by two birds at 10:18 AM
these past few days have been rainy. and windy. and cold. the wind and the cold i could do without, but the rain doesn't bother me so much.
there is something about hearing that constant patter of raindrops on a roof that is soothing. and of course the rain will guarantee green grass once the winter snow melts off next spring. and to top it off, everyone gets license to wear the cute and whimsical wardrobe that can only be worn in the rain.
so many cute rain boots! you don't just have to wear plain yellow rubber boots anymore.
i love a vintage rain coat...complete with whales.
or how about a military inspired rain coat?
you can't go wrong with a classic trench.
don't forget a cute hat!
and of course, the umbrella. i prefer clear, so you can actually see where you are going!
get outside, act like a kid...splash in some puddles and have fun!
Posted by two birds at 9:52 AM